Tag Archives: Grange

Low and Duff Brassfounders – The Little Foundry

Low and Duff from the air

Low and Duff from the air

 

To understand why the `little foundry`, as it was known to generations of Monifieth people, as opposed to the `big foundry` we must go back in time to the mid nineteen hundreds.

Continue reading

J F Low Ironfounders – the Foundry by the sea

By Mhairi Pyott

In 1794 there was recorded in Monifieth 38 weavers of coarse linen, Osnaburg cloth, the name derived from Osnaburg in Germany, where the brown coloured linen cloth was first produced. Those weavers worked from home on a part time basis as they also farmed land.
At the start of the nineteenth century a partnership was formed by Robert Baxter & Robert Fairweather, establishing a spinning mill, driven by the Dighty water at what was then to be known as Milton of Monifieth.
Continue reading

Fontstane

Font stane

In a little wood of beech trees, about five hundred yards south of Grange House, is a block of Old Red Sandstone, popularly known as the Font Stone. Made roughly of a truncated square, pyramidal form, standing two feet above the soil. The base measuring 4 by 3 1/2 feet, and the top 3 1/4by 2 3/4 feet.

Continue reading

Milton of Monifieth

The bridge over the Dighty, at Monifieth has certainly been a crossing point for many centuries.

Continue reading

A Romantic Adventure of Two Old Monifieth Communion Cups

This is the romantic story of two old Communion Cups belonging to St. Rules Parish Church Monifieth.

Continue reading