Tag Archives: Dighty

Monifieth Parish Church

St Rules pre-1902

St Rules pre-1902

By Mhairi Pyott

 

There has been a place of Christian worship on the site of St Rules Church for over 1400 years and most probably some form of worship before then.
The town developed around the church, which at one time was identified as `Kirkton of Monifieth`.
Continue reading

Advertisements

The Story of Monifieth Parish Church

Pre Reformation Church

Pre Reformation Church

There has been a place of Christian worship on the site of St Rules Church for over 1400 years and most probably some form of worship before then.

The town developed around the church, which at one time was identified as `Kirkton of Monifieth`.

Continue reading

Monifieth House of Memories – a special place

Desperate Dan that iconic Dundee person made an appearance

Dan in the House of Memories

Dan in the House of Memories

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Into the eleventh year of its being there for visitors, the feeling was that perhaps a “face lift” was the order of the day. With some preparation, cementing and pointing of the stonework, it was time to bring in a professional painter & decorator.

Who knows what may happen at the House of Memories over the next ten years.

Certainly it is now known throughout the World by the number of overseas visitors who have passed through the door of 55 High Street, Monifieth, to enjoy the displays of exhibits, photographs and information archived within its walls, all relative to the local area.

A few examples of photographs  which have interested visitors in the last month.

Ardownie  Souterrain

Ardownie Souterrain

Which was uncovered beside the Dundee  to Arbroath ( A92) road, then covered over when constructing the dual carriageway.

Linlathan House and Dighty Water

Linlathan House and Dighty Water

The Dighty as it meanders through the Den in front of Linlathen House which was later demolished.

Carpet Factory workers

Carpet Factory workers

Carpet Factory workers at Milton

David Marr and Earl of Dalhousie

David Marr and Earl of Dalhousie

David Marr – manager – and Earl of Dalhousie at the “Big Foundry”

 

Monifieth Trams: A Few Recorded Facts

Proposals for a tram service from Dundee to Monifieth were recorded as early as 1871.
This plan included ideas for the formation of a company, which would complete the `laying of track , from Ninewells to Arbroath.`
In 1904 Mr George Balfour petitioned Parliament for permission to lay a track for Tram cars from Dundee to Monifieth.
June 1905 the Bill was passed.

Continue reading

Milton of Monifieth

The bridge over the Dighty, at Monifieth has certainly been a crossing point for many centuries.  Since the 15th century, it has been regarded as a strategic crossing, and in the eighteenth century it became a favourite of French smugglers.
Continue reading

Monifieth Heritage Walk Leaving from the Angus Council Access Office.

First Monifieth Burgh Coat of Arms

First Monifieth Burgh Coat of Arms

Over the centuries the spelling of the name has altered many times, as has the conclusions as to the possible reasons for the title. The registered coat of arms carries the features of a stag and a hill, signifying the combination of two Gaelic words Monadh Feidh. However, many are now more in favour of another two similar sounding Gaelic words Monach Fother meaning Monks Land or Holy Place. Over the passage of time Monifieth has indeed been regarded as a historical holy place.
Continue reading

Milton of Monifieth

The bridge over the Dighty, at Monifieth has certainly been a crossing point for many centuries.

Continue reading