- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- June 2013
- May 2012
Category Archives: UncategorizedImage
We are asking for assistance, to provide information, pictures, stories about Monifieth Public School.
There must be a vast number of ex pupils who have stories to tell about attending the school in Monifieth.. We have a fair amount of archived material already, but we are sure that there must be people with stories to tell.
“Tell us your memories and stories of Monifieth Public School”.
Pictures can jog people’s memories so this week we have some more.
Once again we would love your comments.
On 22nd February 2002, Winnie Cochrane passed away in Stracathro Hospital, at the age of 86 years. Winnie was known as an expert photographer throughout Angus, but particularly so in her home town” of Monifieth.
Affectionately known to the locals as Winnie Flash Bang”, she started off life as Winnie Forbes, daughter of a well-known sports press photographer, J. D. Forbes.
After completing her education at Grove Academy, her professional career started in the family business, catching in pictures, what is a historical record of many local events.
Winnie was commissioned to photograph the baby Princess Margaret at Glamis Castle. Another important assignment being her appointment as “official photographer” for the Caledon shipyard, recording and documenting every stage of the construction of the ships being built in the yard.
Many wedding albums treasured by local families are with school photographs, sports events, organisation “night outs” – a living record of historic events.
Something happening, Winnie was there, her camera, it has been said “not always with a film”.
Golf events were of special interest, as from 1977 until her retirement in 1994 she was also starter at the Ashludie course. It had been known for the start of a match to be delayed by the temporary closure of the box, while Winnie and camera were on another mission.
Bob Cochrane, her husband was also an expert in the use of the camera, being one of the first to pioneer photography from an aircraft.
Winnie was predeceased by her brother Dr Bill Forbes, sister lean, husband Bob Cochrane, and survived by her nephew Alan.
This information was handed in to the House of Memories and has been produced here as it was written. We would welcome any additional information or pictures to make this piece more interesting especially as the kirk is now a family residence.
My Aunt, Miss Cecilia Sim, now resident at Duneaves, Broughty Ferry, passed on to me your account of the “Hillock Kirk: 1843-1979” which I have read with the greatest interest, and I do congratulate you on a very fine piece of local historical research. As one with a very long connection with and affection for The Hillock, I am sending you some reminiscences of events and personalities of yesteryear which may be of some interest.
SCOTTISH CEMETERY AT KOLKATA
The Scottish Cemetery: 159B, Ustad Enayet Khan Ave, Park Circus, Park Street area, Kolkata, West Bengal 700017, India
One of the results of the Act of Union (1707) was the ability of Scots to engage in the opportunities provided by organisations like the East India Company. Henry Dundas (1742-1811) “the uncrowned King of Scotland”, helped to bring the activities of the Company under the direct control of the British government. By 1792 as many as 1 out of 9 civil servants in the Company were Scots, along with a third of all officers in the army in India and 1 in 11 of its soldiers. Scots, including soldiers, missionaries, jute traders and businessmen went on to play a prominent part in the economic development and administration of West Bengal.
Scots were heavily involved in trade. Coal, timber, sugar, indigo, and cotton all had large markets created by the Industrial Revolution in back in Britain, and by the 1880s West Bengal was also the world leader in the production of quality tea. Of local interest, from the 1830s it became possible to mechanically spin jute fibres and much of the raw material jute made its way to the mills of Dundee.
Such were the numbers of Scottish-linked families in India that they formed a regiment in the British Indian Army: the Calcutta Scottish. Their badge featured the Saltire as well as the arms of the city, and they wore Hunting Stewart tartan.
St Andrews Church in Dalhousie Square, built in 1816, is now part of the Church of North India; and the nearby Scottish Cemetery at Calcutta was established in 1820.
Extending to 6 acres (24,000 m2) the cemetery now lies within a dense urban area in the centre of Kolkata. It is enclosed by a high wall; and the entrance, which bears the title “Scottish Cemetery” over an archway, is flanked by a restored gatehouse. The cemetery is roughly square in plan and laid out largely in a grid pattern. It contains over 1600 burial plots, with well over 2000 burials.
All burials were recorded in meticulous detail and are preserved in the original ledgers kept at St Andrews Church and the Cemetery gatehouse. Well over 90% of the names are recognisably ex patriot Scots; most of the others are prominent Christian Bengalis. The memorials are generally of imported Scottish sandstone or granite. Towns of origin mentioned on the various stones include Paisley, Sutherland, Fife, Campbeltown, and many from the Dundee area including Arbirlot, Broughty Ferry, and Monifieth.
Although the cemetery was in use until the 1940s, it was abandoned in the 1950s and almost all the original lead (used in lettering) and cast iron has been removed. By the turn of the twentieth century the cemetery was derelict and overgrown; the monuments and stones were broken and decayed. The cemetery, was a great burden for St Andrew’s church to maintain; and it served no useful purpose for the relatives of the people buried there or, more importantly, for the local population.
However, it is a rare, largely undeveloped area space in a densely populated part of Kolkata; and it has considerable potential not only as a regeneration project but also a revenue generating tourist attraction.
A conservation project, initiated by the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), is now led by the Kolkata Scottish Heritage Trust with the following aims:
- To maintain the Scottish Cemetery as a managed green space which can be a ‘lung’ for the surrounding population as inspired by the ideals of Sir Patrick Geddes.
- To research and record of the cemetery and thereby improve the understanding of the site, its history and its genealogical importance. To make this information readily available.
- To restore the cemetery buildings and as many of the monuments as possible.
- To establish a centre for training traditional building skills necessary for the repair and restoration of the monuments as well as of the traditional buildings of Kolkata.
In 2008 the cemetery was cleared of invasive vegetation which had been the principal cause of decay to memorials and headstones. Thereafter, it was possible to conduct a detailed archaeological survey, to assess the condition of surviving monuments and consider the most effective means of repair. Much of the survey work was conducted by RCAHMS (the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic and Monuments of Scotland).
The initial work of clearing the overgrown vegetation was done by Simpson and Brown Architects of Edinburgh with Addyman Archaeology. The boundary wall has been repaired and made secure, lighting has been installed, gardeners have been employed to keep the vegetation under control, the Gatehouse (with toilets) has been conserved for the use as an interpretation centre for the visitors and tourists, and workers quarters has been constructed. Levelling for proper drainage is in progress; and research continues for developing compatible traditional mortar. Planting of flowers, trees, and shrubs has been undertaken to encourage butterflies and nesting birds and so enhance the area as a sustainable natural eco-system within the built up area.
The second phase of the work was started by Neeta Shubhrajit Das Associates in 2012. Dr Das attended a residential training course at the Scottish Lime Centre Trust in Fife, Scotland in 2013 to study the manufacture and application of traditional lime-based building materials including mortars and renders. She will train local craftsmen to ensure that the historic buildings and memorials are appropriately conserved.
In addition to all that, The Kolkata Scottish Heritage Trust is working in partnership with the Presidency University, Kolkata and the University of St Andrews to digitise the cemetery’s burial archives.
The Monifieth Connection: Samuel William Low of Monifieth, Forfarshire
Alexander Johnston Warden, Angus or Forfarshire, the Land and People, Descriptive and Historical Published 1880 (Part XIV) details that Lows had been resident in Monifieth for 300 years. In 1849 James Fairweather Low and his brother, Samuel Miller Low took over what in 1880 was described by Warden as “a large and thriving concern now known as Monifieth Foundry, and about 300 operatives have steady employment at the various departments of the work. The machinery sent out by Mr Low has made him and his work known in all parts of the world where flax or jute is spun.”
Samuel Miller Low had married Grace Margaret Lyell the eldest daughter of Dr Lyell, a physician in Dundee, and they had three sons and four daughters. Charles William Low (1867- 1897 in India). Charles brother, George Carmichael Low (14 October 1872 – 31 July 1952), was a celebrated Scottish parasitologist who in the course of a distinguished career was President of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. He worked with Sir Ronald Ross who in 1902 had received the Nobel Prize for his work, in Calcutta by co-incidence, on the transmission of malaria.
See also MHAIRI PYOTT “J F Low Ironfounders – the Foundry by the Sea. Posted on August 28, 2013 on The Monifieth Local History Society Web Site
Nick Goes to Eden Gardens
The Sherriff of Kolkata
You Tube: Scottish Cemetery in Kolkata is worth a look.