St Rules pre-1902
By Mhairi Pyott
There has been a place of Christian worship on the site of St Rules Church for over 1400 years and most probably some form of worship before then.
The town developed around the church, which at one time was identified as `Kirkton of Monifieth`.
Posted in Famous buildings
Tagged Ardestie, Dighty, Durham, Eglismonichty, Fichem, Grange, Hungas, Maule, Panmure, Seaview, St. Andrew, St.Columba, St.Rule, Young
Tayside and Angus have many ancient fortified sites. Many of those are to be found on hilltops and other places such as coastal promontories, where natural obstacles added greatly to the security of the stronghold. It is believed that they testify to a troubled period when communities found it necessary to fortify their settlements against attack by their neighbours or others. Continue reading
Desperate Dan that iconic Dundee person made an appearance
Dan in the House of Memories
Into the eleventh year of its being there for visitors, the feeling was that perhaps a “face lift” was the order of the day. With some preparation, cementing and pointing of the stonework, it was time to bring in a professional painter & decorator.
Who knows what may happen at the House of Memories over the next ten years.
Certainly it is now known throughout the World by the number of overseas visitors who have passed through the door of 55 High Street, Monifieth, to enjoy the displays of exhibits, photographs and information archived within its walls, all relative to the local area.
A few examples of photographs which have interested visitors in the last month.
Which was uncovered beside the Dundee to Arbroath ( A92) road, then covered over when constructing the dual carriageway.
Linlathan House and Dighty Water
The Dighty as it meanders through the Den in front of Linlathen House which was later demolished.
Carpet Factory workers
Carpet Factory workers at Milton
David Marr and Earl of Dalhousie
David Marr – manager – and Earl of Dalhousie at the “Big Foundry”
Work has been done to spruce up the House of Memories for the Commonwealth games with the shooting competitions taking place in nearby Carnoustie.
This was taken on the 27th July.
In case you are wondering about the car it is our President, Mrs Copland’s.
The person by the window must have been drawn to look at the decorations…..
a close up for you.
Don’t forget to check Doors Open Days which will give you details of September’s events.
Gerard Hall 1900
Gerard Hall, Monifieth.
Opened December 23rd, 1882. by Alexander Gordon of Ashludie
(In connection with Monifieth Parish Church)
During January last an organ was erected in the above hall, and the platform enlarged. The organ is a finely-toned instrument, and greatly enhances the internal appearance and beauty of the building.
Dr Young, on the first meeting of the congregation in the hall
– February 9th- after the erection of the organ, delivered a lecture on music, in connection with praise, since the earliest period of the Christian era, supporting his statement by reference to ancient books and sculptural monuments.
– He stated that the service of praise was one of the most pronounced customs of the early Culdees, who had a place of worship on the spot where the present hall now stands. Part of an obelisk erected by them still exists, and may be seen a little north of the Parish Church, and it is known as the `Font Stane`, the shaft having been carried away. It was partly destroyed by being taken and used as a lintel for the door of the `old church`– that is the predecessor of the present building—and in this manner it was mutilated to bring it to the required shape.
– It was subsequently built into the front wall of the present church, but has since been taken away. On it were sculptured Jesus on the cross, and at His feet David playing a harp. On the other side were the figures of three women surrounding a younger female playing a lyre. Dr Young afterwards spoke of the efforts put forth by the first General Assembly to introduce the service of trained singers into the Church, by giving a brief history of the Scottish Psalter, prepared by John Knox, only one copy of which was known to exist. He remarked on the fact that Gilbert Garden, the first minister of the Reformed Church in Monifieth, was Moderator of the General Assembly which put forth such zealous efforts for the proper musical training of the people. The history of our present version of the Psalms was also dealt with, and examples given of the variations to which they had been subjected before they finally attained there ultimate form
Grange is an ancient reminder of the close association that existed between the Abbey of Arbroath and the inhabitants of Monifieth
It was originally the home farm or Grangaria where the `tiend` sheaves or tithes were delivered and deposited.
The Grange, a name derived from`grangia` or a place where the tiend sheaves were deposited had long associations with Arbroath Abbey.