Chained Monkey Motif
The Gerard Hall chained monkey has over many years been a topic for discussion resulting in many stories and conclusions.
At the formation of Monifieth Local History Society in 2000 it was considered to be an apt and recognisable motif to be adopted by the group.
Following research and prior to requesting permission from the Lord Lyon for Scotland to use the chained monkey as their motif the following information was revealed.
There was no confirmed evidence the story of a monkey being washed up on the Monifieth beach.
No confirmed evidence to the story of how a seafaring man from Monifieth kept a chained monkey as a pet
The Hall built in with financial assistance by the Rev Dr James Gerard Young, the Parish Church Minister, was opened in 1882 for use by the community, at a cost of £2000 completely debt free.
The name Gerard is that of the benefactor’s maternal line of descent.
Articles written on `Early Christian Symbols` describes the Chained Monkey as signifying “Good overcomes Evil”.
This is in keeping with the Latin quote above the door.
The Lord Lyon was totally unaware of the existence of the sculptured stone in Monifieth, with the only other one recorded being in Norfolk
Permission was granted to the Monifieth Local History Society to use part of the Memorial sculpture as their motif.