“From time to time remains of bygone battles have been unearthed in the neighbourhood of Panmure, and lately yet another link with the past was discovered, when a rude sarcophagus containing two skeletons, was dug up on one of the many fier cairns in the neighbourhood.
These cairns are known to antiquarians as the Cur Hills, and lie about a mile and a half to the south of Panmure Monument, where the tomb of Camus, the Danish General, who fell at the battle of Barry, is situated. The hill where the coffin was found is a little to the north of the farm of Carlungie, which stands about one thousand yards from the main road from Arbroath to Dundee.
For some time past workmen have been engaged in excavating the mound for the purpose of obtaining gravel for road-making, and when about two feet from the summit of the hillock came upon the coffin. The stone was soft, and one of the sides came away, disclosing the skeletons of two people, apparently a man and a woman. The skull was entire, but on the top was a peculiar cut , which showed how he had received his death.. The forehead was particularly large, and every tooth was in place in an excellent state of preservation. The other skull was very much smaller, and the forehead not large at all.
The bones of the man appeared to be rather bigger than those of the present day men.
Unfortunately, the bones were allowed to lie, and large numbers of persons visited the place, with the result that the bones were rudely handled, and soon fell away , and mixed up with the gravel.
That the skeletons were in some way connected with certain of the great battles fought in the vicinity, may be deduced from the fact that they found their resting place in cairns. It has long been proved that the cairns are monuments of either the Battle of Barry , in 1010, or that of Panmure.
The excellent state of preservation in which the skeletons were found favours the theory that it was in the latter battle , which was fought in 1337.
The presence of the female in the coffin is rather remarkable. On the land of the same farm, and a little to the west, similar finds have been made of a large mound, and here urns and implements of war have been discovered.
The bones were taken from the coffin, which bore no marks of any kind, and buried.”