Monthly Archives: July 2016

SCOTTISH CEMETERY AT KOLKATA

 SCOTTISH CEMETERY AT KOLKATA

 The START

 SLIDE1071

 

 

The Scottish Cemetery: 159B, Ustad Enayet Khan Ave, Park Circus, Park Street area, Kolkata, West Bengal 700017, India

 

 SLIDE2072

    

One of the results of the Act of Union (1707) was the ability of Scots to engage in the opportunities provided by organisations like the East India Company. Henry Dundas (1742-1811) “the uncrowned King of Scotland”, helped to bring the activities of the Company under the direct control of the British government. By 1792 as many as 1 out of 9 civil servants in the Company were Scots, along with a third of all officers in the army in India and 1 in 11 of its soldiers.  Scots, including soldiers, missionaries, jute traders and businessmen went on to play a prominent part in the economic development and administration of West Bengal.

 SLIDE3073

 

Scots were heavily involved in trade. Coal, timber, sugar, indigo, and cotton all had large markets created by the Industrial Revolution in back in Britain, and by the 1880s West Bengal was also the world leader in the production of quality tea. Of local interest, from the 1830s it became possible to mechanically spin jute fibres and much of the raw material jute made its way to the mills of Dundee.

SLIDE4074

 

 

 

Such were the numbers of Scottish-linked families in India that they formed a regiment in the British Indian Army: the Calcutta Scottish. Their badge featured the Saltire as well as the arms of the city, and they wore Hunting Stewart tartan.

 SLIDE5075

 

SLIDE6076

 

St Andrews Church in Dalhousie Square, built in 1816, is now part of the Church of North India; and the nearby Scottish Cemetery at Calcutta was established in 1820.

SLIDE7077

 

Extending to 6 acres (24,000 m2) the cemetery now lies within a dense urban area in the centre of Kolkata. It is enclosed by a high wall; and the entrance, which bears the title “Scottish Cemetery” over an archway, is flanked by a restored gatehouse. The cemetery is roughly square in plan and laid out largely in a grid pattern.  It contains over 1600 burial plots, with well over 2000 burials.

All burials were recorded in meticulous detail and are preserved in the original ledgers kept at St Andrews Church and the Cemetery gatehouse.  Well over 90% of the names are recognisably ex patriot Scots; most of the others are prominent Christian Bengalis.  The memorials are generally of imported Scottish sandstone or granite. Towns of origin mentioned on the various stones include Paisley, Sutherland, Fife, Campbeltown, and many from the Dundee area including Arbirlot, Broughty Ferry, and Monifieth.

SLIDE8078

 

Although the cemetery was in use until the 1940s, it was abandoned in the 1950s and almost all the original lead (used in lettering) and cast iron has been removed. By the turn of the twentieth century the cemetery was derelict and overgrown; the monuments and stones were broken and decayed. The cemetery, was a great burden for St Andrew’s church to maintain; and it served no useful purpose for the relatives of the people buried there or, more importantly, for the local population.

SLIDE9079

SLIDE10080

 

However, it is a rare, largely undeveloped area space in a densely populated part of Kolkata; and it has considerable potential not only as a regeneration project but also a revenue generating tourist attraction.

SLIDE11081

  

A conservation project, initiated by the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH), is now led by the Kolkata Scottish Heritage Trust with the following aims:

  1. To maintain the Scottish Cemetery as a managed green space which can be a ‘lung’ for the surrounding population as inspired by the ideals of Sir Patrick Geddes.
  2. To research and record of the cemetery and thereby improve the understanding of the site, its history and its genealogical importance. To make this information readily available.
  3. To restore the cemetery buildings and as many of the monuments as possible.
  4. To establish a centre for training traditional building skills necessary for the repair and restoration of the monuments as well as of the traditional buildings of Kolkata.

 

In 2008 the cemetery was cleared of invasive vegetation which had been the principal cause of decay to memorials and headstones. Thereafter, it was possible to conduct a detailed archaeological survey, to assess the condition of surviving monuments and consider the most effective means of repair. Much of the survey work was conducted by RCAHMS (the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic and Monuments of Scotland).

SLIDE12082

 

The initial work of clearing the overgrown vegetation was done by Simpson and Brown Architects of Edinburgh with Addyman Archaeology. The boundary wall has been repaired and made secure, lighting has been installed, gardeners have been employed to keep the vegetation under control, the Gatehouse (with toilets) has been conserved for the use as an interpretation centre for the visitors and tourists, and workers quarters has been constructed. Levelling for proper drainage is in progress; and research continues for developing compatible traditional mortar. Planting of flowers, trees, and shrubs has been undertaken to encourage butterflies and nesting birds and so enhance the area as a sustainable natural eco-system within the built up area.

SLIDE13083

 

The second phase of the work was started by Neeta Shubhrajit Das Associates in 2012. Dr Das attended a residential training course at the Scottish Lime Centre Trust in Fife, Scotland in 2013 to study the manufacture and application of traditional lime-based building materials including mortars and renders. She will train local craftsmen to ensure that the historic buildings and memorials are appropriately conserved.

In addition to all that, The Kolkata Scottish Heritage Trust is working in partnership with the Presidency University, Kolkata and the University of St Andrews to digitise the cemetery’s burial archives.

 SLIDE14084

The Monifieth Connection: Samuel William Low of Monifieth, Forfarshire

Alexander Johnston Warden, Angus or Forfarshire, the Land and People, Descriptive and Historical Published 1880 (Part XIV) details that Lows had been resident in Monifieth for 300 years. In 1849 James Fairweather Low and his brother, Samuel Miller Low took over what in 1880 was described by Warden as “a large and thriving concern now known as Monifieth Foundry, and about 300 operatives have steady employment at the various departments of the work. The machinery sent out by Mr Low has made him and his work known in all parts of the world where flax or jute is spun.”

Samuel Miller Low had married Grace Margaret Lyell the eldest daughter of Dr Lyell, a physician in Dundee, and they had three sons and four daughters. Charles William Low (1867- 1897 in India). Charles brother, George Carmichael Low (14 October 1872 – 31 July 1952), was a celebrated Scottish parasitologist who in the course of a distinguished career was President of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. He worked with Sir Ronald Ross who in 1902 had received the Nobel Prize for his work, in Calcutta by co-incidence, on the transmission of malaria.

See also MHAIRI PYOTT “J F Low Ironfounders – the Foundry by the Sea. Posted on August 28, 2013 on The Monifieth Local History Society Web Site

SLIDE15085

 

  Nick Goes to Eden Gardens

SLIDE16086 The Sherriff of Kolkata

SLIDE17087

The END

 

 

You Tube: Scottish Cemetery in Kolkata is worth a look.

Newsletter August 2016 (extracts from)

What have we been doing?

 

The answer to that question:- WE HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY.

Sad to say due to circumstances outwith our control, perhaps the age factor being the greatest cause, the few committed volunteer members are finding it difficult to meet the increased work load generated by the success of the House of Memories, Community project.

Visitors continue to arrive at 55 High Street, to view our permanent display of items and photographs relative to the Heritage of an Angus Burgh. Our talks and events are popular and well attended by both members and non members. The website continues to be viewed with worldwide interest, and acts as an information centre for many planning visits to the area.

The House of Memories has been opened during the eve­ning, by arrangement, at the request of groups. Fund raising activities continue and we are sincerely grateful to all who contribute to the financing of 55 High Street as a Link to the Past.

I am also most grateful to the Office Bearers and those who add their support to the Management and Finance Committee. With a little help from our friends, then we might reach our goal of “2016 being the Best Year Ever” for Monifieth Local History Society

 

Margaret Copland . President.

DO YOU KNOW?

It was written in 1916-

We will never forget their noble deeds and inspiring example..

 

“Oh, the swing of their kilts;

 how it set the tears starting.

There’s glamour about it, that

 makes the heart swell.

But there’s many a lad that wore

the gay tartan.

Asleep in his cauld bed at dark

Neave Chapelle.”

 

Year after year the grass

Year after year the grain,

 But sleeping dead in their lonely graves.

They never come back again.

1916

Monifieth Foundry has contrib­uted freely in men and money during wartime. The industrial resources have been exploited to help the country in it’s hour of peril.

 

Bravo Monifieth (1916)

Monifieth Burgh was reported by the Secretary of State for Scotland to hold the premier position for freedom from crime among the Scottish Burghs with a population of under 5000. In cases of drunkenness and disor­derly conduct. Statistics showed 32 for Monifieth , with a similar populated burgh given as 647

MLHS Community Project

Managing the day to day running of the services provided has not been an easy task for Linda Spalding, in charge of the day to day management. Sadly the number of volunteers, who ‘man the desk’ has for several reasons diminished. Main cause the ageing process of those involved .

Interested Volunteers we need just

TWO Hours of your time.

Weekly, fortnightly or monthly.

Come as a couple, or with a friend.

No special talents required, however, those who have already volunteered have discovered they do enjoy meeting very interesting people “frae a’ the airts” who visit Monifieth.  Our programme of talks & events, are well, attended and enjoyable social occasions.

To find out more you can visit 55 High Street, or

Email   monifieth.history@btinternet.com

Tel. 01382- 530355

 

Monifieth Community Needs YOU

PLEASE CHECK THE UPCOMING EVENTS PAGE

So that you do not miss out

Ashludie Prize Giving 1967

Ashludie Prize Giving 1967

Foundry Workers c1912

Foundry Workers c1912

 

Treasures Valuations – Monifieth’s Answer to the Antiques Roadshow

“Treasures Valuations”

Wednesday  14th September

at 7 pm

the Crown Inn Function Suite  at 51 the High Street, Monifieth.

We have Mr. Taylor of the well known auction house in Montrose coming to preside over the evenings proceedings.

HOW IT WORKS

Members of the public bring the small item they wish to be valued – this is not compulsory.

On arrival those bringing an item will be given a number. Mr Taylor will draw a number and talk about and value that item.

This is necessary because events like this are very popular and time is a big constraint.

There will be a chance for the audience to guess what an item is worth.

Stovies will be served during the evening ………..

so an excellent  evenings entertainment for the £5 entry.