Replica of the Monifieth Pictish Stone
Monifieth being located in South Pictland, the learned gentlemen of the kirk , narrowed down the establishment of Christianity in the area to between 570 / 580 AD. The close proximity of the Laws, with it`s fortifications, broch etc., in association with the souterrains at Ardestie, Carlungie and Ardownie, it was most certainly a very important Pictish settlement.
Notification of the AGM on 7th November at 10am in the House of Memories
MONIFIETH LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
55 High Street, Monifieth DD5 4AA
An Annual General Meeting shall be held once a year, when the President`s report and Treasurer`s statement and Accounts shall be presented for approval. At this meeting an election of the President, Secretary, Vice President and Treasurer will take place.
The AGM in November will return to the original format of the date nearest to the start of the financial year, which at the auditors request was changed from November to the 31st October as stated in the current Constitution. Previously it was 1st January to 31st December.
Pre Reformation Church
There has been a place of Christian worship on the site of St Rules Church for over 1400 years and most probably some form of worship before then.
The town developed around the church, which at one time was identified as `Kirkton of Monifieth`.
Posted in Church
Tagged Ardestie, Ardownie, Dighty, Durham, Eglismonichty, Fichem, Grange, Hungas, John Knox, St. Andrew, St.Columba