Proposals for a tram service from Dundee to Monifieth were recorded as early as 1871.
This plan included ideas for the formation of a company, which would complete the `laying of track , from Ninewells to Arbroath.`
In 1904 Mr George Balfour petitioned Parliament for permission to lay a track for Tram cars from Dundee to Monifieth.
June 1905 the Bill was passed.
Messrs Balfour & Beattie, Civil engineers undertook the work and by October 1905: Track completed to Monifieth.
At Milton Monifieth, a car depot, tram shed, power station and offices were built.
(The power station, coal fired, was cooled by water from the Dighty.)
Later cottages were erected for the staff.
Mr James Shepherd appointed as first General Manager.
Cars assembled at Milton Workshop by 28th November 1905.
Problems with running gear caused a delay in the official opening of the track.(Cars could only run in reverse)
At a trial run over route on 13th December 1905 overhanging branches from trees along the route were considered a danger to passengers on the upper open deck of the tram.
Due to these problems the official opening was delayed until Wednesday 27th December 1905. Public service commenced at 2pm.
Initial fares: From High St. Dundee to Monifieth. 4 pence.
Golfers return: 6 pence if the return half was stamped by the Golf Club.
Late Summer 1908: Line extended to Tay St.
First Tram at Junction of Union Street and High Street December 1905
Last Tram to Monifieth left Dundee High St. at 10.45pm on 15th May 1931, for Milton. Driver Mrs Rattray, wife of Monifieth` s Provost. The car No. was 13.
All cars were sold as scrap.
On 7th April 1932, the Company shareholders recommended Voluntary Liquidation and it then ceased to exist.