John Knox was the first to devise a system of education and his aim was to provide in every parish a place of education where even the poorest might be educated. The expense of education to be borne by the Church.
Mr Thomas Young is the first teacher in Monifieth of whom there is any record having been elected on 18th November 1599 .
In 1600 the Kirk Session of Monifieth agreed that the school master should be upheld by the Parish.
The funding for this responsibility was funded by the owner of each plough paying forty shillings and every farmer twenty shillings. Later a charge of two shillings for every baptism and forty pennies for a wedding.
The Old School and school house were cleared away in 1878 and the NewSchool erected on the site. It was designed by Mr David Mclaren (Architect) Dundee.
In 1898 two extra classrooms had to be added
In 1907 A second storey was added to accommodate 500 pupils.
The parish was entirely dependent on Monifieth School for its educational needs .
In 1782 Sir Alexander Ramsay Irvine founded a school at Drumsturdy.
Three schools were erected by Thomas Erskine of Linlathen. From around 1822 the YMCA Hall in Brook Street Broughty Ferry was used as an infant school supported & financed by Erskine
In Monifieth the Erskine Female School in Brook Street`s first teacher was a Mrs Paul, followed by Miss Margaret Low (later Mrs D Carmichael) sister of James F Low, Ironfounder.
Reference has been made to it being the `Penny School`. In 1878 the school was closed and the teacher Miss Sinclair transferred to Monifieth Public School.
In 1898 the building was sold having served as a Mechanics Institute and Salvation Army Citadel during the twenty years from the school closure.
On 12th June 1898 it became the Church of St Bride and a place of Divine worship for those of the Roman Catholic faith within the district.
The third Erskine school was at Lammerton built in 1841 mainly for the dependents and children of the Linlathen estate. On average there were fifty pupils in attendance. The school closed in 1897