Grange is an ancient reminder of the close association that existed between the Abbey of Arbroath and the inhabitants of Monifieth
It was originally the home farm or Grangaria where the `tiend` sheaves or tithes were delivered and deposited.
Early in the fourteenth century the Grange became disjoined from the Abbey and it`s service ceased.
In 1322 King Robert the Bruce granted the lands to Sir William Durham as a reward for faithful service rendered as a knight.
For four hundred years the Grange remained in the possession of the Durham family.
It was at Grange House that the great Montrose was aided in his failed escape attempt by the Lady of Grange, while he was billeted there overnight
on his way to the Tolbooth in Edinburgh and subsequent execution.
Perhaps if the escape plan had been successful then Monifieth might have
had a famous heroine on par with Flora MacDonald.
Grange House is finely situated on rising ground, having a Southerly exposure, from which may be seen the river widening out into the German Ocean.
The present building is of quite recent date, or at least most of it, but the site is that on which stood the ancient Castle of Grange.
When workmen were laying out the grounds they came upon the foundations of the old castle a little to the west of the present building, which were as firmly bound together as if time had only the effect of consolidating them. The trees in the park are tall stately and luxuriant, a more pleasant retreat is not to be found within the district.
The old baronial castle was taken down about the year 1829. The Avenue at that time ran east to the road passing Ashludie gate, which was then known as `Kirk Road`
Present House built in 1829, a small classical mansion by James Black with sumptuous seventeenth century Renaissance gate, piers of caps, finials, mouldings and the like.