It was a very solemn occasion when we learned of the sudden death of the Patron of Monifieth Local History Society, Lord Peter Fraser of Carmyllie. We were indeed very privileged to have been one of the groups to have been within the broad spectrum of his many interests. An internationally acclaimed politician, man of the law, sportsman, family man, who still managed to find time for those from the local area, such as MLHS.
His knowledge of the Heritage of Angus , in particular the lighthouses , he willingly shared with others.
A great man of many interests and parts , he was most of all a ” Man of the People” who will be sadly missed by them, Never forgotten.
Lord Peter Fraser of Carmyllie
The bridge over the Dighty, at Monifieth has certainly been a crossing point for many centuries. Since the 15th century, it has been regarded as a strategic crossing, and in the eighteenth century it became a favourite of French smugglers.
By Mhairi Pyott
In 1794 there was recorded in Monifieth 38 weavers of coarse linen, Osnaburg cloth, the name derived from Osnaburg in Germany, where the brown coloured linen cloth was first produced. Those weavers worked from home on a part time basis as they also farmed land.
At the start of the nineteenth century a partnership was formed by Robert Baxter & Robert Fairweather, establishing a spinning mill, driven by the Dighty water at what was then to be known as Milton of Monifieth.
There are lots of pictures in our Gallery for you to look at.
Here we are highlighting people this month.
Monifieth Tennis Belles
South Church Womens Guild.
Motor Bike Racing on Monifieth beach was a great pre World War11 past time
Milton Mill girls
Recorded in 1913 for Monifieth
Number of houses rented under £10 = 294
Over £10 under £14 = 117
Over £13 under £18 = 98
Over £18 under £20 = 103
Over £20 under £25 – 116
Over £25 under £37= 31
Over £37 under £115= 19
Over £115 under £156= 3
The estimated population 4000. Number of householders 781 Yearly rental £18265 being an increase for the year of £364.
In 1895 when Monifieth was created a Burgh the gross rental was £7907 13s. In 1912 £17670 18s
Superiors of Monifieth: Earl of Dalhousie, Thomas Anderson, Milton House, William Low, Seaview House.
Seaview House 2002
In prehistoric times it is said the only collection of human dwellings, in what we know today as Scotland was to be found at Ardestie Monifieth, Angus. Evidence of these `homes` can still be seen today.
First Monifieth Burgh Coat of Arms
Over the centuries the spelling of the name has altered many times, as has the conclusions as to the possible reasons for the title. The registered coat of arms carries the features of a stag and a hill, signifying the combination of two Gaelic words Monadh Feidh. However, many are now more in favour of another two similar sounding Gaelic words Monach Fother meaning Monks Land or Holy Place. Over the passage of time Monifieth has indeed been regarded as a historical holy place.
By Mhairi Pyott. ( August 1999)
When driving along the Dundee to Arbroath road one cannot be but impressed by the amount of building activity going on between Claypots and Monifieth. A recently erected directional sign points the way to a housing complex which will be known as Panmurefield Village. Perhaps the workmen and prospective buyers are unaware of the local, indeed national, history connected with this area of land. Continue reading