About half a mile to the east of Monifieth near to Ardestie farm, there stands on an elevated piece of ground cottages. Currently this is the site of boarding kennels known as Ashbank. The place itself presents no striking picturesque features but commands a wide and varied view.
The lighthouses, Barry links and the river Tay as it flows into the North Sea.
In the far distance can be seen the shores of Fife and on a clear day the spires of St Andrews.
To the north lies Downie Hill and the `Live & Let Live` testimonial. To the west the double crowned hill of Laws, with it`s vitrified fort.
Nothing much remains of the lordly halls, the ancient chapel and beautiful gardens which once occupied this spot. Only two sculptured stones remain as a memento of it`s former grandeur. Built into the gable of the cottage nearest to the road is a stone of ecclesiastical nature apparently having belonged to the Chapel. It is square shaped and bears the monogram ”I.H.S.”. In the centre of the H. and overtopping it is a cross and below is a heart pierced with three nails.
A stone in the other gable is semi- circular with a `rope moulding1 enclosing the letters M.A.R. referring most likely to Margaret, Countess of Panmure. Under the letters is also a heart also pierced with three nails and transfixed with a sword.
The other stones of which the castle and outbuildings were erected have been used to build farm houses and restore steadings through out the district.
Near the end of the seventeenth century the Castle of Ardestie was the residence of the Maules , later of Panmure.
The building of Panmure House was commenced in 1666, by the First Earl,
The work continuing under the jurisdiction of the Second, Third and Fourth Earls.To the latter goes the credit for the completion of the House.
In 1694 James married Margaret, third daughter of the Duke of Hamilton.
James the Fourth Earl was born at Ardestie, he was the patriotic Scotsman who in 1715, with all his vassals, including a number of landed proprietors, who held their land in feu from the Lordship of Panmure, joined the Earl of Mar, to join the Rebellion with sympathisers of the Chevalier de St George.
Lord Panmure( James the Fourth Earl) rode out from Panmure House with a final order that the main gate should remain closed until his return. As he passed through Monifieth, he installed his chaplain, Auchinleck, in the church there. The Episcopal minister appears to have been popular with the parishioners, however, the failure of the Rebellion forced him to quit and Lord Panmure to flee the country. The gates at Panmure still remain closed.